Saturday, August 2, 2008

Interlude: More excuses, but no more!

Well here I am, still behind. My excuse this time is that my husband has been working very hard on a film and therefore it has been very hard to get to the computer. But no more - I am writing from a very shiny new laptop that is ALL MINE! Hurrah!

So where am I up to? I went on a big Dresden Files kick and knocked over 5,6 and 7 -
Death Masks
Blood Rites
Dead Beat

Jim Butcher is an awesome writer, he has the hard-boiled detective genre nailed and is endlessly inventive with his supernatural plotlines. I find the Dresden books really hard to put down.

I only got partway through A History of the Beanbag and Other Writings by Susan Midalia. I read the first couple of stories and really liked the gentle style - she writes little vignettes linked by a character or an object (eg the beanbag). Unfortunately I find it hard to stay involved in short story collections and have run out of time to finish it before returning it to the library. Oh well.

I'm currently reading Century Rain by Alastair Reynolds. Hubby and I are both big fans of space opera so I went out of my way to find a new author. I'm having a little bit of trouble getting into it (not sure I relate to the characters yet) but will push on.

I'm also reading (and loving) Everything Is Miscellaneous by David Weinberger. It is FANTASTIC. If you have any kind of interest in organising or finding anything, from your cd collection to the files on your computer to the state library to amazon.com, this book is a fantastic read. Will write more on it later!

No comments: